Bunge’s 8th Non-Deforestation Progress Report covers soybean supplies originating in areas at risk for deforestation in Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina
May 7, 2020 – St. Louis, MO | Bunge published its eighth non-deforestation progress report365体育备用网站, which shows increases in monitoring and traceability for soybeans in areas most at risk of deforestation in South America. These include states within Brazil’s Cerrado biome and similar areas of Paraguay and Argentina.
In 2019, Bunge monitored over 8,300 farms across over 14 million hectares (over 34.5 million acres) – an area roughly the size of New York State. This includes a 12% increase in monitored farmland from the previous season.
For direct sourcing farms in Argentina and Paraguay, Bunge has achieved 100% monitoring over the volume directly sourced from farmers.. In Brazil, monitoring has reached 91% of the volume sourced directly. A portion of smallholder farmers is still under an engagement process in which the company collects proprietary information and continues the communication process. These farmers account for the remaining 9% to be monitored going forward. Nevertheless, Bunge has achieved 100% traceability for its direct sourcing in the focus regions in South America.
Additionally, Bunge has mapped all grain elevators in its indirect sourcing supply in the area. Currently, 40% of soybean volumes from indirect supply are engaged by the company. Bunge is working to increase this to 60% by the end of 2020.
365体育备用网站Bunge began publishing non-deforestation progress reports in 2016. After four years of monitoring, only 0.7% of monitored farms showed soybean planting over recently deforested areas. A portion of these farms are no longer supplying the company, though the engagement process continues.
“As a global company operating in sensitive ecosystems around the world, Bunge is aware of our role as a leader in our industry and recognizes the importance of developing responsible supply chains that promote sustainable agriculture and support the social and economic well-being of growers and communities,” said Rob Coviello, SVP Sustainability and Government Affairs at Bunge.
The report also includes a snapshot of other Soft Commodities Forum industry indicators. The Forum is a sector platform convened by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) for the purpose of advancing collective action around common sustainability challenges. Additional information on Bunge’s SCF report can be found here.
More information about Bunge’s approach, as well as additional progress reports and dashboards, can be found at cityofstones.com/sustainability.